Forty-Five Verses: Give What You Have

All gifts are not the ones that are perfectly wrapped and stacked, with a pinterest worthy bow, under the tree. They are ones that can't be bought. The ones given in the purest form of love. The love that looks most like Jesus.
God shared the sweetest message with me last Spring through an eight year old little girl  "give what you have.”I was volunteering in the PE classes of a school across town. It’s a K-8 school so I got to experience the energy (and attitudes..haha) of various ages, boys and girls. I got lost in the day forgetting all the activities and tasks of my normal day in exchange for playing kickball, watching sack races and giving out snacks. It was a refreshing break and filled with lots of hugs and questions from the kids.
The sun was shining bright in blue skies which also made it a wee bit hot out there, I didn’t mind that either, as I said, I got lost in the moment. It’s always interesting to see how children treat each other and I have to say, several times my heart hurt for what I saw and heard. Words that surely hurt. Being the last to get picked for the team. Being laughed at for something. I think what bothers me most is the other students around not taking up that child either. What a difference that would make if just one in the group would show they cared. There was also skipping and holding hands, singing songs and dancing though out the classes. Ohhhh, to be a child again...

Mid-afternoon the eight year old girls were out on the fields and this one little girl stole my heart the minute I saw her. She walked right up to me and asked my name! Standing there looking up at me with those almond shaped eyes, perfectly combed braids and the biggest smile you have ever seen, she hugged me. Her friends hugged me. They “let” me coast them across the monkey bars. One by one. But then…my sweet little friend, I will call her CeCe, grabbed my hand and opened it up. She pulled a very warm. half of a snickers bar,that was neatly folded over and placed it into my hand. She said  “I want you to have this.”

I  was honored at the generosity and sacrifice of this little one. At the same time I still had a little bit of a knee jerk reaction and said “thank you so much sweetie, did you pick this up off the ground or”….and before I could say anything else that precious child proudly said…“No, my Daddy gave it to me this morning!!!” Smiling from ear to ear. I teared up. That melted half eaten snickers bar was priceless. She gave what she had. Wow. What a message.


A short time later, the girls were all lined up to go back inside and my new friend and I made eye contact. She was behind the chain link fence and I was standing by my car, about to leave. She raises her little eyes with expression and  says “do you still have your snickers?” I smiled and said "Of course I do.. I can't wait to eat it!"  I had it right there in the car. And it stayed there as a reminder the rest of the week.  I am so thankful for the reminder to give what I have through the heartfelt love of sweet little CeCe. So pure and simple. Love like Jesus!

The verse for today is...

#4 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17

 Blessings,
Suzanne


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture