Get Your House in Order: A Little Blue (Repost)

"This is the day the Lord has made.
 I will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24

A Cross you hold in your hand, on my fav flannel PJ's

I had no idea that my color of the day would be blue. I don't feel blue, even though the rainy weather here in Birmingham, might trigger such a mood. I picked out my favorite navy blue shirt to wear and put it with gray pants, who knew those would go together for me so easily today? Smile. And my fav gray scarf. Blue and Gray, still sounds dreary huh? Anyway, off to work I go! Good so far....

I picked up Abby from school and told her I was looking forward to heading straight home to finish my work and put on my PJ's. I must have been dreaming  about it because when we got almost home, I mean, right to the street, that's when I saw them. BLUE LIGHTS. In the rear view mirror. Oh no. 

So I pulled onto my street, the policeman right behind me, blue lights flashing. Hello neighbors:) The nice policeman walks up to the car and I politely ask "what did I do?" "Well, you were speeding and you did not put on your blinker when changing lanes." I hand him my license and frantically start looking for my insurance registration in the glove box. "I am so sorry, this is my street and I guess I am just way too familiar with the road." Honesty always pays off right? It was the truth. He goes back to his car. I find the insurance registration. My heart is beating so fast, why does this send you into a total panicked state? It's a speeding ticket, not the end of the world. 

The policeman walks back over to the car and I hand him my registration and he looks over at Abby and says "do you think I should give your Mom a ticket?" I do not even know what she said or did. I just blurt out "well, I was speeding". He hands me a ....warning!!! WOW. I thanked him and he says "slow down ma'am." Don't worry, lesson learned!

I went on with my plan, straight to the PJ's, work, homework and an early dinner. But I got to thinking about how that warning is like God's grace is to us. We don't deserve it anymore than I deserved the warning I got today. I deserved a fat ticket. I broke the law. No, I didn't intentionally have a led foot, but I was clearly not paying attention. I do feel the worst about that part.  Yet in his mercy that officer gave me another chance. Just like our relationship with Christ."But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." Romans 5:8 

Yes we have grace. And because I want to be a law abiding citizen, you better believe I will watch my speed from now on. I needed that warning. We all do. Just as we need warnings from God. Letting us know when we are not paying attention or the reminder to abide by his laws. Not in a legalistic way but in pure obedience out of love for our Father, our Holy Father. He is so worth it. Thank you, Jesus, for gentle warnings to take heed. And for your grace that sets us free. Amen.

Day #12 Discipline yourself to slow down and pay attention

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, 
O LORD, make me dwell in safety." 
Psalm 4:8

Day#363 Grace, God's grace
Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture