Get Your House in Order:Facing Fears


Nick, Luke, Abby and Emma

I faced a big ole fear today. I was in the room with a bunch, like a hundred or so, of snakes. Yikes, makes me almost scream thinking about it! My children on the other hand, were thrilled, they have awaited going to this  reptile show for several months! My plan was to drop them off  and be close in case they needed me. I felt sure I would not be a fun companion, it felt a little like the house of horrors to me. I knew what was lurking in there...haha.

I have come to like the bearded dragons, Jynx and Jerry that Abby loves so dearly ( but snakes scare me). Luke took Sally, his redfoot tortoise, to ask what was wrong with her eyes since she hasn't opened them in a while. Dehydration, who knew? So sweet Sally is now soaking in a bowl of water and we are all hoping for her to open up those eyes to see the world again. Should only take a few days if she "soaks" her each day. It really is interesting around these parts. A zoo, I tell you.

I ran an errand and got a call from Luke who needed me to come get Sally, she was just too much to carry around. Sally is the size of my hand. haha. I headed back to get her with the idea to walk the beautiful trail around the Gardendale Civic Center.....
Gorgeous day for a walk/run
And I did. However, afterwards Luke convinced me to come in and explore all the fun inside  for myself. He even slipped me the five dollars for my entrance fee. I stepped in, and immediately there they were.... case after case.... of snakes. Definitely what you would expect at a reptile show. People walking around with snakes like many do with their dogs at pet stores. Let's just say I made my way around (the pretty small place) for ten minutes and retreated back outside to the enjoy the scenery! Trees and flowers:) 

They were happy I went because it's been a show they have waited patiently on for several months. I was happy to take them and just maybe now that they will have a visual, when facing a fear...if Mommy can do it, so can they? When I say fear of snakes, I mean I don't even like to look at one on TV! If I see a dead one in the road, I still scream. What about you? Any fears as such? Love to hear from you on that!

I have shared that I am reading through the Psalms. Over the years I have done so and never before have I noticed all the warfare that David was describing. Chapter after chapter he relies on the Lord because of his enemies. Psalm 55:5" Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me. And horror has overwhelmed me." What I love is that he voices his fears to the Lord. I don't spend too much time thinking about snakes. But I can waste too much time thinking and worrying about the future which is rooted in fear. I have feared things that never happened or don't matter anyway. The list goes on and on but thank God I don't have be stuck there! Not anymore. 

 I am learning to voice those, every last one of them, to the Lord. He either leads me to an opportunity to face up to it or removes the fear. He is God. He knows what will shape me and what will hinder me. And my trust grows stronger. My spiritual eyes have definitely been opened to reading the brutal truths of flesh and spirit. Nothing is new under the sun. The Bible gives us the living, breathing word of God, the instruction book for any circumstance, trial, decision.  "I will say to the Lord "my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." Psalm 91:2


My main goal for a Saturday project was painting the front door. Check! 
And laundry. Still going (and going)....smile!

I hope yours has been grand!

Day#80 Face your Fears
Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture