Get Your House in Order: A Tribute


Aunt Barbara Sue, Suz and Aunt Joy, Wedding Day 1998
I looked for and found this picture today, because in my heart, I needed it. I have not been able to write this until now.  I want to honor my Aunt Barbara Sue, who went to be with the Lord last week. I love her so. She and my Aunt Joy were my wedding directors and the picture was taken at my Bridesmaid Tea in 1998. Those two together were absolutely halarious! I don't know who laughed more when they were together and we all just joined in laughing as they shared stories! Aunt Joy was there to meet her in heaven, I am sure.

You know those people in your life that always make you feel special and are genuinely interested in whatever it is that you have going on? That was her. All through the years, whether it was boyfriends, high school, college, marriage, children or cancer...my greatest memories are sitting at the table with her and discussing the latest news in my life. She really cared. She loved her newspaper and coffee in the mornings and  I learned some great grocery store sales tips from her (coupons:))! I think I get my frugalness from her, maybe?She was one hard working, smart lady and I admired how diligently she managed everything. Most of all, she loved her family, her girls and grandkids and that is her legacy...Her love for all of us. Genuine love.

I have four cousins, her girls. We have had so much fun through the years, I was the baby for the longest so I tried to keep up with the all. Going to their house in the summer was a treat, we could walk to the drugstore and buy candy and maybe some make-up:) And we also would meet up at my Grandparents house in Atlanta, quite often and pile into that tiny house! Some of my best memories included all of us! To see how they have taken care of their mother during these past few years has been amazing. It shows how God created the circle of life to be as such and when it was their turn, they did a beautiful job. Our parents care for us and then we care for them. It is truly a privilege and an honor to do so. I saw that lived out in my cousins, Sandy, Robin, Sherry and Kathy, love you all!

Two years ago, after suffering from COPD for some time, my aunt was on a ventilator and not expected to live. I was devastated. I couldn't imagine her not being here. Or hearing her voice on the phone say "Hey Suz, it's Barbara Sue, just calling to check on you." I made plans to go to Charlotte for what I thought would be her funeral. I will never forget that call from my Dad saying "She is breathing on her own, it's a miracle, praise God!" And so I rescheduled my trip for a month or so later and spent two of the best days with her. Sitting at the table drinking coffee, talking for hours. Sitting in the den, watching her shows, as she updated me. Just like her mother, my Memaw used to do. Precious.

The kids and I saw her this summer and I have talked to her when she was able. But last week, while in the car, I felt to call her house at that moment. So I did. I thought one of my sweet cousins would answer..but no, I hear her voice, my heart drops. I probably startled her because I yelled "Heyyyy, Aunt Barbara Sue!!!!" She says "Who is this?" Haha. "It's Suzanne". "Oh, hey Suz " and we had a short conversation, she of course asked about Jeff and the kids. I am going to miss that voice. However, I am so happy she has a new body and is no longer suffering. This time I let go.

Family is truly where your heart is at home. My heart was always home around her kitchen table, eating her good food, drinking coffee and gabbing about life.  I learned so much more about her involvement at her church at her service and what I loved most is that is was all centered around our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. You are a shining star, Aunt Barbara Sue, until we meet again in heaven.... I honor you.

"Where two or three are gathered together in my name, 
there am I in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:20

Day#36 Focus on honoring those you love
Blessings,
Suzanne


Comments

  1. Suzanne,
    I couldn't sleep, so I started reading your posts. I just found that Bobbie Sue is in Heaven now. I just knew that she had been sick a while back. I love the picture. Aunt Joy and Aunt Lucille came to my daughter, Susan's wedding in 1991. Aunt Susie, Uncle Bruce, Aunt Lucille and Shirley came to my wedding 45 years ago and Uncle Fred gave me away. It sure doesn't seem that long ago. I so miss all the family that has gone on to be with Jesus. Reading your posts, I'm thinking, you would be such a blessing to your great grandmother, my Aunt Susie, If she was still here, though I know she's in Heaven now and knows it all. Tell Brenda all my thoughts and prayers are with her and also Buddy. Hoping and praying she will get better and get to go home soon. Praying for all the Family!
    Love you all,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Thank you so much for reading! I love all you shared about the family! So many special people! And thank you very much for your prayers for Mom, she is doing much better! I will share your sweet comment with Mom and Dad tomorrow when I go to the hospital. God has certainly blessed us with a loving family! Love and Blessings, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

31 Days of Pink: Fear Of Recurrence