On Your Mark


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7


While walking on my everyday path and praying about the upcoming Race for the Cure, that I plan to RUN this year, my eyes fell right upon this cross. (picture to the left). I am sure if any of my neighbors were looking out their window it was a sight to see me staring at the ground and saying "only You, God" (and likely very loudly, due to the fact that I had my earbuds in and music blaring)! Two pieces of pine straw put perfectly together to form the cross on the road. What a sweet reminder of God's love! After I snapped a picture, I began to pick up the pace a bit and RUN. Baby steps. My faith in myself had been renewed that I was reminded to look to Jesus to help me run this race. The problem is I don't like to run. I never have, walking is just fine with me...smile! To be honest, I have never challenged myself to do so. So, this is the year! It's my way of celebrating my five year anniversary of being cancer free! With thousands of others!
The following week, the kids and I went to a very flat walking path, that just so happens to have a beautiful creek they enjoy playing in while I walk. Everybody's happy. Well, except that it was right before one of THE most stressful times I can remember since I sent baby Luke to Kindergarten.  Abby starting High School and Luke to Middle School had me feeling like a..what's a good word...total wreck is what comes to mind. Here again, I walk and pray, music playing, asking for relief from worry and my eyes fell right upon this heart. I stop. People pass me. I say it again "only You, God". I take the picture and immediately I feel better. Nobody cares for my heart like He does. Nobody cares for my children's hearts like He does. I pick up the pace and I RUN. The weight of worry had been lifted and I felt stronger as alternated walking and running. Baby steps. It started getting easier as I just focused on listening to music and not allowing my mind to obsess over things I cannot control!
And today, Labor Day, I have a story about my RUN at the lake. My parents spent the weekend with us which gave me the precious opportunity to walk with my Mom on Saturday and my Dad on Sunday! Today I set out alone, and boy did I sing my heart out in the country air with those ear buds in...all the way to the end of the road. That's when I saw the mark on the road. That's when I made the decision. I am going to RUN the whole way back, hills and all!!I snapped the picture as if to say "ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, GO!" I was singing along and getting excited that I had a goal and I was going to do it! I suddenly thought of my friend,cancer warrior,  Michelle Michaels, who fought the good fight, who ran the race, who gave me so many words that I still live by today and then..THE very song she sent me during my cancer season began playing in my ear.."If you want me to" by Ginny Owens. I must share the beautiful lyrics with you.....

"If you want me to" by Ginny Owens

The pathway is broken and the signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why you brought me here.
But just because you love me the way that you do
I'm gonna walk through the valley if you want me to.

Cause I'm not who I was when I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise You're not through not
through with me yet. So if all of these trial that bring me closer to You
Then I will go through the fire if you want me to.

And it may not be the way I would've chosen 
When you lead through a world that's not my home
But you never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone.
So when the whole world turns against me 
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear you answer my cries for help 
I 'll remember the suffering that your love put you through
And I will go through the valley if you want me to.

 I continued to RUN, now with more strength than before....And I made it to my goal! As I was going inside, I noticed something on the bottom of my shoe. Aha, another sign. I had carried a rock with me the whole time... "only You, God." Yet I know that my Rock, my Lord, my Savior and my Strength is with me at all times. I praise Him for giving me these simple, yet extraordinary pieces of nature to remind me of His love and faithfulness in whatever challenge I am facing. And I thank Him for reminding me that every day is a gift and the time we have with others is to be enjoyed in that given day and to make the most of it!For now, I will continue to fight the good fight of faith, with the goal in mind to finish the race. Praise the Lord as believers the race doesn't end here on earth! I will be doing some running between now and October 11, how about you, want to join me? On your mark.......


Blessings, 
Suzanne
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith." Hebrews 12:2

Comments

  1. See you on Oct 11th, sweet friend! Love your writing....Thanks for blessing us!
    ~Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Silvia! I still treasure the picture of us on that first one, five years ago. And the the first Young Breast Cancer Survivor Network workshop picture a few years later..we must get a snapshot this year!! You inspire me!!
    Blessings,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very proud of you.

    -jeff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture