Recall

"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope."
Lamentations 3:21

Part 1: Before the trip


Rocking and comforting the youngest Seeker Springs camper,
 who had a terrible toothache, God's little angel.
RECALL. Remebrance of what has been learned or experienced.

The highlight of 2012 was the Sixth Grade Mission Trip to The Seeker Springs Camp in Eros, Louisiana!!! For many reasons, I wanted to recall this in my forty posts.. top of the list, to serve others as Christ calls us to and to do so alongside my sixth grader, Miss Abby is forever a memory I will cherish.

This is not just a"sign up and go trip".
 There are requirements. As I so often remind myself and the kids,  cost and  sacrifice are how we learn to experience life as God designed it. He gave us the ultimate sacrifice, His son, Jesus. So, I do love that this models that.  If you do not fulfill the requirements, and you make the committment way in advance, so no excuses..... you are unable to go on the trip. There are plenty of other options for camps in the summer but this one is not about "us". Imagine that.

We made the decision.
And then the preparations for the mission trip began.

There were required meetings that meant missing some other activity in the summer, there was scripture memorization that meant time spent off the phone, tv, or down time. There was learning to share the gospel in a way that these children can have hope, in what may appear a hopeless situation. This meant practicing to peers and overcoming the fear of how to share your faith. There was a required written testimony, ok now this one is a heart wrencher for me, my girl shared that my having cancer brought her closer to the Lord, written there on paper, in her handwriting, I see His hand in all the suffering.  It is part of not just my story but part hers, as she accepted Christ and knew that she needed Him to help her through a trial. There was a financial requirement and it was highly recommended to have the sixth graders earn their own way and this meant creatively working for money and putting it towards the trip. There were requirements to commit to a leadership role and prepare the lessons or play games or music involved. The parents were only there to supervise, the sixth graders were the leaders. These requirements were not easy. No commitment of serving others is supposed to be, why do we think that? There were a few instances where it required me to push, as a parent and there were times when I had to push myself so I could encourage (that sounds better but reality is, I had to say, "we are committed, not quitting because we don't feel like doing this or that "and "we are doing this")! As with committment, there is warfare, so I had written (and referred to quite often that week before especially) in my journal this verse:

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world, forces of darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12

The requirements beforehand pale in comparison to the blessing of the Lord imprinted on our hearts for these children in Louisiana. Just as God does, he blessed Abby and I, and I feel sure, every person on the trip,  with a new perspective of how He provides us with what we need, not what we want. I think I can vouch for the two of us and say we would double the requirements just to have the time with those precious kids again.

Part II iscoming next.... The Trip... which will be straight from my journal, written on the front porch, early morning in a rocking chair in the Louisiana air....places change, but that part of my day cannot. My heart requires it, my Lord deserves it and it is my spiritual food to feed my soul first thing in the morning.

How about you? Have you got a time of day that is set aside to read the Word of God? If not, now is a great time to begin.  Lamentations 3 is a great place to start...

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture

On Your Mark