Set Their Minds

"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit." Romans 8:5

Good morning, my friends. I pray you wake with this morning with a mind that is set on "the things of the Spirit." I heard someone say, "I used to say oh God, it's morning, now I say good morning God!" I think it was Wynona Judd as she spoke of her life transformation.So this morning I say "Good morning God."

My story this morning is the tale of a Monday afternoon, a late afternoon, as I was trying to get "all my ducks in a row" as my Mom says. Monday nights are my yoga night at Susan G Komen. To leave at 6:00 pm on any given night is quite a task..dinner to be done beforehand and homework done (one of the two happened, they ate atleast..smile). However, there was one thing I had not done and that was, buy a yoga mat. Yes, I had been out and about working all day and yet, somehow I decided that at 5:00, I had to go get one! Abby was riding bikes with friends and Luke had followed up too after his friend left.He had made one circle around the block and was still in his bike helmet,as I began trying to convince him, to go with me to buy a yoga mat. You can imagine what his little mind was thinking...hmmm...ride bikes or go to a store. I could too so added a little twist (or bribe)" we can run by the dollar store and replace that play skateboard that broke today at school????" Helmet off, he was on my heels and we were in the car in no time. Mind you I only had thirty minutes to get there and back and I added yet another stop! The things we do for an hour of "me time." Anyway, I backed out of the garage, but quickly felt a bump. I put it back in drive and slammed it into park!!Oh no, but before I could get out I hear Luke yell "my bike." Oh yes, it was that precious orange bike, not mangled but not so good for riding! Luke immediately began beating himself up. As we all do when we make a mistake! As we pulled out of the driveway, the tears and constant tearing down of self got louder and my heart beat faster. We still had the little skateboard but somehow a hand held skateboard didn't compare to that "broken bike" as he called it. And his heart was broken. He pulled it together (and I kept thinking, yoga, yoga, relaxation, yoga)and we found a yoga mat, I chose pink for the cause and rushed out of the store. We got the skateboard but the closer we got to our house the more I could tell it was about to begin all over. There was the bike leaning up against the house, at this point, waiting for Daddy to come and save the day! He said it again "why did I do that, why did I leave it there?" My response "Forgive yourself, honey, you know now and besides Luke, it is a thing, it's something you love, but it is still a thing." I don't know how much his eight year old mind could wrap around that thought but it made me think about my own life.

Oh, the mistakes I have made. Ones that were made because,I was careless, no one to blame but me. Ones that were made because I was only living in my flesh, uneffected by the Spirit that I had made the decision to live within me. But we can't stay there folks! God's word says "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prise for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 3:13 The Lord forgives us and many times we suffer because we won't forgive ourselves of past regrets, stupid mistakes or condemnation. I always try and give Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" to those who are beating themselves up (my self included. Condemnation is a big word with a powerful meaning..."to disapprove, to declare guilty." Expose that today. The enemy will keep you in a place of condemnation if you so allow. You are free, he is defeated..set your mind on the things of the Spirit. Begin by reading Romans 8 today. Forgive yourself, move forward and help others to do the same. If ever I have learned my lesson it was in my season of cancer. Like never before I lived for that day, praying that I would live and tell others how Great a love I had found in Jesus. I learned to forgive myself and others, just as He had forgiven me. He gave his life for me and now I daily give my life to serve him more. It's not an easy road sometimes, but it is one of joy, divine joy. Thank you sweet Jesus for this time to share of your goodness and your examples of opening our eyes to the "things of the Spirit and not of the flesh." Help us to have your wisdom like it says in Proverbs 9:11"I, wisdom, will make the hours of your day more profitable and the years of your life more fruitful." For your glory, I give this day. We praise you.

Thank you all for the emails and comments on facebook! If you are hving trouble sending a comment on this blog or would like to send me an email or prayer request..here's my address... smoore.suz@gmail.com ..I would love to hear from you. I am also compiling a list of emails from my guestbook on caringbridge so if you would like to be included on that distribution list send me a line..
"Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should." Psalm 90:12
P.S. When I returned from yoga, I hesitantly asked about the bike....there was a smile from a little boy and a "It's fine" from Daddy! So today is a new day!

Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture