As I Have Loved You

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

Good evening Friends! This has been the first chance I've had all day to actually sit down and write.Although I decided early this morning that I wanted to share what I read about friends in John 15:12-15. I took this picture of my pink NIV Women's Devotion Bible because this was where I discovered the greatest friend ever, Jesus Christ. My parents gave this bible to me in 1998 and it was then that I actually began reading and studying daily. I realize that I probably need to stick to writing as my photography is not the best (ha) but I do like a visual!!! And how about that it's pink, all is connected. Anyway, I think of these posts as letters,and there's nothing better than writing to a friend except receiving a letter from a friend! In fact this scripture, written in red, as Jesus' words,is a letter. It says "This is my commandment, that love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you sevants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing, but I have called you friends, for all that i have heard from my Father I have made know to you." John 15:12-15
I am a friend's friend. I LOOVE my friends! I have since I was a child, then on to high school, college, work, marriage, motherhood, cancer and it keeps going.The Lord has blessed me with more than I could ever count. I have never seen an outpouring of love than the countless friends who walked with me through the valley. Talk about letters and cards, over four hundred that will be with me forever and the calls and emails and constant encouragement..makes me think of that song "Friends are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them"...and for those college sorority sisters...yes, picture us in our matching dresses singing to those rushees!(Sidenote, sorry;)It means lots more now as I find the words of that song to be true. "If the Lord's the Lord of them." And He is, was and always will be. He commands us to love our friends as he loves them. Wow, what a commandment..the good, bad and the ugly, love them as he loves them. That sunk deep in my heart and will say that I used my time in the car today to really think and pray for my friends...old, new and those I will meet in the future. And how about those sweet words "but I have called you friends." No matter what you are facing right now, friends or no friends, you have ONE, the ONE who will never leave you or forsake you. And if it's been a while..He is still right there. And if you don't know what to say...He will be there anyway.


I also wanted to share my two favorite bible companions..."Streams in the Desert" by Mrs Chas Cowman and "Jesus Calling:Enjoying Peace in His Presence" by Sarah Young. For two reasons...number one is that maybe you could go to the bookstore or online and purchase these. And maybe begin to use that to guide you in a time devoted to getting to know the Lord..your friend.I always read the scripture first and then the devotional. And number two is that I was given "Jesus Calling" by a very special friend, Laura Crandell Brown in 2009. She was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in 2008 and we corresponded through caring bridge and letters through our treatment. Laura went home to be with the Lord on December 14, 2009. I never met her in person, but I do think about her every day when I get my book out. Her legacy lives here on this earth. Her parents have a lakehouse near ours and that is how we were connected. But the Lord is the Lord of that friendship, common ground of cancer and chemotherapy, but God used her to inspire me. Her parents, sister, family and FRIENDS are doing a beautiful work in the Laura Crandell Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation.
"Our mission is to fund research to find a reliable diagnostic tool to detect ovarian cancer in it's earliest stages and to raise awareness to the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer." The Moore family will be at the Head over Teal evnet this Saturday, Sept 17th at the Preserve...honoring Laura and continuing to stand with these family and friends who are saving the lives of others through early detection and research. Thank you Jim and Cecilia Crandell for living out God's purpose. I will "think of Laura" as I walk. Go to:
www.thinkoflaura.org/headoverteal to register for the race or I think you can sign up there.. Those who simply want to support this mission may donate from the website as well.

Read John 15:12-15 again.

"A friend loveth at all times" Proverbs 17:17

Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture