The Best Idea

"A merry heart does like good medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." 
Psalm 17:22

I thought it would be a good idea turn on the television to check the weather on Tuesday. This is not my normal routine (they are both likely to wear short sleeve shorts every single day of their life so I gave up the weather years ago..haha) There had been alot of talk before bed and high hopes that school would be cancelled. But the forecast only called for a "light dusting." So to their disappointment, I woke them up,   began our day like normal.

I also thought it would be a good idea to come back to my home office for about an hour to answer a few emails and make some phone calls,before heading to a downtown hospital to make my calls. Oh how thankful I am for that hour turning into two, thus delaying  my trip downtown. At 10:00 or so the snow began to fall and I found myself on the phone with my Mom and saying "Well, I have got to go down there and get this work done." Meanwhile the snow was falling more and so I pretty quickly began saying "I will go get the kids, but if I wait until 11:00 I think it counts as a full day". Well, by 10:45 I thought it was a good idea to go on to the school and beat the crowd. After last year's snow when it took me two hours to try and get them from school (from downtown mind you:)), I said I would not let that happen again. 

Now, why I thought this was a good idea, I don't know but I thank the Lord Jesus that He had His hand on me the whole time. I turned down the hill to my son's school and it was like a rollercoaster ride at Six Flags! Yep, I am sure I hit the brakes and my car went flying down the hill.  I am screaming out the window at three men who are stunned and likely laughing at the look on my face. All I could see was people coming out of the school and feeling the terror of my car not stopping regardless of my foot squashed on the break!
My car did stop. Sideways. About a six feet from a sign and a drop off and a big tree.

A school employee came out to try and help, then another and can I just say these were the two most peaceful faces and calm voices that got me out my predicament!!! This sweet man had the best idea and he is saying "c'mon you can do this" and in tears and a shaking leg I am saying "I really don't think I can". I was SO scared! Very calmly, he says "now put your car in the lowest gear and pat the brake". Uh oh. My reply to that is "I really don't think I can do this, I don't even know what the lowest gear is and (more tears) I am scared of the brakes." Have you ever? But you know what? 
I did exactly what he said and I came right on down the hill, Oh, what a great idea!

I go in the school, shaken to say the least and grab Luke and get this...make him run out and get in the car because I was worried about getting up the hill. We made it fine up the hill. I head to Abby's school to check her out and get stuck in the parking lot for maybe fifteen minutes. Then a great idea hit me. I begin to back the car up and hear a horn honk behind me, but I continue to back up, as does the person behind me. (move it or lose it mode) . I pull around the parking lot, park the car and turn it off. I announce to the car (my two children and two others). 

"WE ARE WALKING HOME FROM SCHOOL TODAY."

There was no discussion. There was no complaint. Everyone was out of the car and ready for the hike(all two miles of it).!And maybe I was thinking it wasn't such a great idea to wear my cowboy boots that day but it does add to the roughin' it aspect of the journey! We had to cross a very busy intersection to get to a side road so I lined my four little ducks up in front of me and waited for a break in the 5 mph ,moving traffic. As we were almost across, a van gets right even with me and this man looks at me in total disgust and says through the window 
"That is a bad idea" as he putts away in his van.
 I will stomp my cowboy boots even harder now to get home, mister! (just playing, I have laughed so much about his comment). We were all oblivious that the rest of the world was getting jammed and stuck everywhere all over the city! We walked and laughed and the kids basically had on spring attire and with snow covered hair! By 12:30 pm we were at home, changing into warmer attire and headed outside to play. 

2014 Winter Storm

And a few hours later, Jeff came pulling up in his truck, and soon began a pick up service for children at daycare, schools, and coworkers and getting them all home to their families in his great big JEEP. So maybe I can say it is a good idea..that..you..have ..a jeep? Of course. God used you in a big way !




I have to admit that we enjoyed our snowcation. However,I certainly felt bad for all those stranded and separated from the families. What a blessing, to rest in the Lord and thank Him for the unexpected ways he used to bring people together and show His love and kindness. At the end of the day, all that He creates for us is ...the best idea!

Blessings,
Suzanne
"My times are in thy hand." Psalm 31:15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture

On Your Mark