Recall Part 2


"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope."
Lamentations 3:21


Part 2: Sixth Grade Mission Trip
July 23, 2012- July27, 2012



Abby with one of her bus buddies Day 4



I have just read my handwritten journal to Abby and we both agreed that I should just type it as is..however, let me set the scene for you. The children live in an apartment complex that is about thirty minutes from the camp. Every day our kids ride the charter buses over there to pick them up and to take them home. They are assigned buddies so they have time to share with them and just make a connection. And most of us girls got a braid while riding and singing songs on the bus! 

July 24, 2012
Great first day...the kids, seeing Abby holding that little girl's hand (sweet girl had a big green bow in her hair), watching her dance and sing worship music with her, having her bible open, notebook open, writing down a verse Papa had written her in a letter, seeing her with her friends, doing the service project at a downtown school our job was washing windows, all these things have been precious.

I loved seeing my little bus buddy play, play, play until she got still and fell asleep. I was shaken at the thirteen year old girl who was so obviously used to taking care with a watchful eye, of her three other siblings. It was too much responsibility, I wanted her to just enjoy being a teen.

Abby's job was in the craft room and mine was in the lunchroom. I spent the first day's lunchtime with my entire body camped in front of the door, to keep the campers from escaping. Quite comicial I know, and thank the Lord Anne my partner in the lunchroom is a teacher and the next few days flowed much better. She had tons of games and music, and we closed the door! Live and learn, some time we do the the hard way, huh?? She renamed us the "lunchroom cabaret." And the amount of spills and food to clean up was unclear if any of it went in the children's mouths??? But even in the chaos, God made a way for one of his children to receive him.

July 26, 2012
This is my my best day...

I see another possible fight in the lunchroom between two boys. Then I see C. put his head down on the table. I approach this unconsolable child. I finally convince him to walk out of the lunchroom with me. The threat that he was crying over was over his little brother (mind you he is probably only eight himself). Very disturbed, I asked, "do you get picked on alot and feel responsible to take care of your brother too?" Those tear filled eyes said "yes maam", looking down. Well, did you know that you have a protector? Do you know Jesus, have you accepted him to be your Savior?" "I have heard of him." he said quietly.

And then I was able to share the gospel and pray with him  to accept Christ in the gym, in  the middle of this storm he was encountering at lunch. I told him, "you have a Lord, if anyone threatens you or picks on you...just say his name and He is there, to protect you, just say Jesus' name."

 At that we walked back to the lunchroom and he pointed out his brother. His tiny, little six year old brother, oh my Lord, what these children are faced with on a daily basis. I then had to talk with the other boy, who looked away the whole time and blamed and wouldn't take responsibility for his actions. Yet I felt the same compassion for his hard heartness, only Jesus can do that through me. What a day!

Abby helping with Bible Stories on the porch

July 27, 2012

Our last day, Lord this has been amazing, all of it!  I really do hate to leave today.

July 28, 2012
Home again. Here's my recollection of our departure yesterday.

 I sat with my little defiant bus buddy, who I had not met during the week, our main conversation consisted of her answering every question saying "no" loudly. But by the time we arrived at her home, we were buds, my hair braid was proof of her acceptance of me and my lap was her new seat. I was so occupied with miss O.  I did not  notice who was  sitting directly behind me. Only God can do this kind of stuff.

I turned around to see my friend, C. from yesterday's episode. I looked him straight in the eye and said with a smile  "do you remember what I told you?" His response.....is one that I hope rings in your ears as it did mine, voice of truth, his version, but his heart......said

"Yes ma'am, if anybody mess with me, I just gotta say Jesus Name."

I smiled and said "you got it." Then I hear his name called. Guess what, he was on the wrong bus, he was supposed to be on the OTHER bus. But no, he was on this bus, in the seat behind me. It made me think of God's protection, me in front of this child and God in front of me. Only for that moment, only for this time. But C. is your child Lord, and you will protect him, always. And his little brother.

As we got off the bus, it was a sea of red and yellow t-shirts. Parkview kids in red and us in yellow. I began giving one hug after another. And my first day's bus buddy ran up to me, wrapped herself around my leg and I bent down and said "Dream big." That was her word. She asked me if I lived in a house and could I just let her come live with me in Alabama? Oh yea, Heart...ache. She very quickly told me knew Jesus and had him in her heart within fifteen minutes of our ride. But when I asked her if she had dreams, she looked at me with a blank stare. "yea maybe, to go shopping alot." So I told her to dream about coming to Alabama or going to college there or having her own house there. She had the most beautiful face, that I won't forget. Please, don't let me forget these children.

There was sobbing on the bus from all the girls, as the goodbye was harder than any of could have imagined. The boys cried too. This is what Jesus does, breaks our hearts for what breaks his...if we allow him to do so......and we become a little more like him in the process.

I cannot say enough good things about Seeker Springs Ministry! Terry and Tammie Slawson and their staff are doing an amazing job for the kingdom! What an honor to serve here!

For His Glory

Blessings,
Suzanne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Your House in Order: Cancer Awareness & Giveaway

On Your Mark

Get Your House In Order: Sunday Scripture